Wednesday, September 5, 2007

More VB vs VB.NET vs C#/Java/C++

Well I loved last nights class. I got into a heated discussion with a few VB 6 programmers taking the VB.NET programming class. They were talking about a bunch of terms that I didn't understand. I love how Microsoft made up a bunch of terms for VB programmers, then decided to bring VB into the true OOP world, and thus, had to change the vocabulary so it matched other languages. Now why the didn't do this in the first place totally pisses me off.

My favorite is that they were talking about how they could just start up objects using a Property Bag. I'm like WTF is a Property Bag and they are like, oh you must not be a OOP guru because it's in all languages. This was the first time I've ever heard the exact term Property Bag, so I was getting fusterated. Well it turns out that is what VB used to call Serialization, a feature I've used in Java over 8 years ago to write the state of an object to disk and read it back in at a later time. More information is here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Aa289514(VS.71).aspx

What I also love is that they hide the code behind files in VB.NET. WTF is up with this? So I ask my professor, and he is like "Oh no one ever needs to go into that file". I'm like WHAT??!! Are you kidding? I couldn't even process that. VB.NET assumes programmers are dumb or something, because they just hide way too many things from people.

I now know I will never be a true VB programmer. I would have to forget too much stuff I already know...

-Costoda

No comments: