Friday, November 30, 2007

Simple human interaction isn't always bad

So Costoda was in a bad, bad, bad mood last night. What got him there? Well yesterday afternoon I had enough of Vista's blue screen oh death because of a faulty iastor.sys driver that Lenovo ships with the T61p's. I had been living with it for about a week, but when I lost 45 minutes of code, enough was enough.

CDB was kind enough to offer a Windows XP image for my laptop. After a little playing around and a second image attempt (and I admit I might have removed the CD a tad bit too early on the first attempt), the laptop was in working condition. So I put it on our fancy dancy new WSUS server and let the good times roll. I figured about 2 hours was enough time to get all the updates. This is where I was wrong.

At 6:00 PM I decided it was time to start installing my plethora of development tools to get this laptop in working condition. My hope was by 9:30 PM I could be getting back that 45 minutes of lost code. That wasn't meant to be. After installing SQL Server 2005 Dev and SP2 I noticed that winders was totally ticked off (it popped up and said things weren't starting properly). Looked into the event log. Great, errors.... Missing KB patch(es). I should have stopped there, but NO I had to go and install Visual Studio 2005 and then put SP1 on that, knowning well that I'm already missing KB patches. XP is awesome when patched, a complete pile of crap fresh out of the box. Well next reboot was a nightmare. Let's just say the laptop is now a big brick (RPC and Workstation services won't even start)

This put me in a bad mood last night and carried on into the morning. I woke up at 5:30 AM, did my normal stuff, got in the car at 6:05 with the hopes to get in really early and get this machine back into working state and get some work done. I was still in a terrible mood. All the way to work I was bitching at traffic. 5 snow flakes on the road and everyone drives like morons in Appleton. *sigh*

I get to the Express gas station where I normally grab some breakfast if I go in really early. Randy, the normal dude that works the counter was there. I walked up to pay for my lootz and he asked me how my day was doing. I told him I only hope it get's better. He chuckled and said that his night was for crap too - he stated he was waiting for drunken hookers to show up all night, but alas none had shown up to this point and he was giving up all hope. I told him funny, that was what I'm hoping for tonight. He laughed and said he would pray for me then. I walked out of the store with a smile on my face. Funny random human comment had changed my mood.

I'm at work rebuilting the laptop now in a much chipper mood.

No comments: